The Borno State government and the United Nations has strongly condemned killing of more than 30 fishermen by Islamic State of West African Province(ISWAP) in Ngala local government area of the state on Wednesday.
In a statement by Malam Isa Gusau, the spokesman to Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, confirmed the incident.
The statement read, “The Governor has received with pains, report about the killing of over 30 fishermen in Mukdolo, village within Ngala local government area, located about 19 kilometers away from Dikwa town.
“About 34 fishermen, most of them, below 30 years of age, were said to have gone fishing early morning yesterday. They encountered a group of Boko Haram fighters who fired shots at all of them at close range. 28 of the fishermen were killed instantly sustained gun shots and were later rescued by the military.
“Unfortunately, two of the rescued six, also died from injuries. This means about 30 died while four persons survived the unfortunate attack.
“The zonal coordinator of Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) for the Borno Central senatorial zone, Rawa Gana Modu led officials of the agency to attend funeral of the deceased. The State Government is monitoring the recovery of the four survivors at hospitals in Maiduguri.
Governor Zulum is holding talks with heads of security establishments towards enhancing security measures that aim to forestall future occurrence.” Gusau said.
Also, The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) condemned the attack in a statement issued by Ami Weru, OCHA Head Public Information, which was made available to journalists in Maiduguri.
“On behalf of the United Nations, I extend my heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families and wish the injured who are recuperating a speedy recovery.
“The victims of this heinous attack were fishermen and farmers eking out a livelihood in a very insecure environment. They included both internally displaced persons (IDPs) and host community members from the neighbouring Dikwa Local Government Area.
“This deeply shocking attack is another horrific reminder of the real threats of violence and insecurity that IDPs and other people affected by more than 13 years of the non-international armed conflict in the region continue to face daily in their struggle to survive. The village of Mukdolo had been abandoned prior to the attack due to the activities of non-state armed groups.
“I remind all parties to the conflict to adhere to their obligations under international humanitarian and human rights law to protect civilians from harm.
“I also call on State authorities to speedily investigate this crime and swiftly bring the perpetrators to justice.”the statement said.